SHC dismisses private schools’ petitions against fee cut

Education

Sindh govt. issues fresh notification making the private schools to offer 20 percent discount in April and May fee

Karachi: Additional Advocate General Sindh Shabir Shah on Wednesday said that after the dismissal of all the petitions by the Sindh High Court, now all the private schools had been bound to give 20 percent fee concession to the students as per the decision of the Sindh Cabinet.

“The restraining order which was issued earlier would also not come into force after the dismissal of these petitions,” he said this after the Sindh High Court dismissed the petitions filed by the private schools’ associations against the Sindh government’s directives to give 20 per cent concession in school fee to all the students.

Shabbir Shah, who represented the Sindh government in the case, apprised the court that the Sindh Cabinet after approving an ordinance regarding concession in school fee had sent the same to Governor Sindh. He said that after the approval of changes in the rules by the Sindh cabinet, all private schools had been bound to give 20 per cent concession in their school fee for the months of April and May 2020.

Additional Advocate General Sindh further said that action will be taken against those schools which would not give concession in school fee after the changes made in the rules by the Sindh cabinet. He further said that, the decision would apply equally to all private schools in Sindh Province.

It may be recalled that due to the sudden spread of the Corona virus in the province, the Sindh government in one of its decisions had closed all the educational institutions including the schools till May 31, after which the parents began to put pressure on the government to at least reduce the school fee for the months during which the schools were closed.

Sindh High Court earlier had suspended the directives issued by the Directorate of Private Institutions of Directorate of provincial Education Department to private educational institutions with regard to a mandatory concession of 20 per cent in tuition fee of April and May in the wake of the Corona virus after it was challenged by TYMS education and other private education institutions citing that the respondent had no authority to issue such directives. However, the Sindh cabinet in its April 27 meeting formally approved a 20 per cent mandatory concession in school fees for the months of April and May, after which the ordinance was sent to the Sindh Governor.

Additional Advocate General informed the Sindh High Court about the decision of the Cabinet in detail. Following the dismissal of all petitions in the Sindh High Court, the Sindh government on Wednesday issued a new notification stating that all private schools would have to give a 20 per cent concession in school fee for the months of April and May, 2020. (PR)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *